27 January 2010

Blog-achella X: Like I Can Post With This iBoner

As someone who has a borderline inappropriate relationship with their iPod touch already, I can only say, iPad = Me want. Me want bad. Me want worse than world peace and 1000 puppies combined. (I love, by the way, that they are actually using the word "magical" on the Apple website. Guys, look, we know it's awesome, but calm down... maybe back away from the iShrooms for a second, 'kay?)...

Unlike yesterday, only one band to skip today and that is Yeasayer, yet another batch of Brooklyn hippies. Imagine if you will Animal Collective meeting some band that probably opened for R.E.M. in the '90s. Okay, they're not quite as bad as that sounds, but they don't really do it for me... so today we feature...

La Roux



Who they are: Miss Elly Jackson, she of the hairstyle somewhere between A Flock of Seagulls and There's Something About Mary, and I believe a dude whose job it is to find some knobs and twiddle them.

What they sound like: Here's the sort of interesting part which is probably why I'm feeling this one. Any current Synth Pop, by definition, more or less sounds '80s because it just does - and this for me is what makes most of it disposable. They already did the '80s, kids. It was called... THE '80S... and they pretty much nailed it the first time, so enough already. But Miss Elly up there is a well-documented '80s worshipper. So why does La Roux's music sound so damn fresh and not-typically '80s despite the obvious influence? It's called good songwriting, I believe...

(DMCA'D! OH SNAP! GOD FORBID SOMEONE LEARN OF YOUR BAND ON THIS WEBSITE AND DECIDE THEY LIKE THEM AND MAYBE BUY THE RECORD OR GO TO A SHOW. YOU WOULDN'T FUCKIN' WANT THAT, WOULD YOU!)

What I think: I think that La Roux is off to a nice start on the path toward Goldfrappian fabulousity, even though their live show seems pretty simple in comparison...



And yes, I know that's from a TV show, but if you check some of the other YouTubes, you'll see the show is pretty simple. I didn't say they're there yet, just on the path. Keep an eye on 'em...

No comments: