09 March 2007

Blog-achella '07 - Cornelius (Sat.) / The Coup (Sun.)

How is it that today's blog will end up with an endorsement of celebrity water sports? Read on to find out!

Cornelius





Who he is: Yet another kooky Japanese dude... who travels the land solving crimes with his sidekick Blue Dot.

What he sounds like: Like similar kooky Japanese dudes Towa Tei or Fantastic Plastic Machine, it's hard to really pin down Cornelius to any particular genre as he tends to be all over the place from one song to the next. Compared to those two, however, he's a little more experimental and less pop-oriented... sometimes. Some call him the Japanese Beck, but I don't quite get the comparison. Maybe he's good at breakdancing and I just don't know it. Headspin!

Cornelius - Wataridori



What I think: Very groovy listen, for sure. I read that his live show includes some very wild visual elements, so I think he'd be worth checking out. If this video, for another one off the new album called "Fit Song" is any indication, upgrade that to definitely worth checking out...



That is pretty awesome, right there.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Coup





Who they are: Boots Riley and DJ Pam the Funkstress (how much do I love the name "Funkstress", btw?), reppin' Oak-town, big up!

What they sound like: Very good and VERY political... like, naming an album "Genocide & Juice" political. Like, "agenda of sociopolitical insubordination" political. And funky too. I kinda cheated by posting a track with a couple of guest shots, but hey, sue me...

The Coup - My Favorite Mutiny (ft. Black Thought and Talib Kweli)



What I think: I wanna see that plus-sized mama tear up the wheels of steel, yo! I also wanna see the Kim Kardashian/Ray J sex tape, because... it's not everyday you can see Brandy's little brother pee on OJ Simpson's lawyer's daughter. Or maybe it is, if you know the right people...

... just sayin'...

... but, uh, yeah. The Coup should be good.

No comments: