09 March 2007

Blog-achella '07 - Ghostface Killah (Sat.) / Girl Talk (Sat.)

Gonna break a couple rules on the ol' blog today. You say you were unaware that there were any rules for this blog? I'm a stinkin' Virgo, people! Of course there are rules! Millions of 'em! And they exist only in my twisted little brain...

Ghostface Killah





Who he is: Somehow an original Wu-Tang member became the official rapper it's okay to like if you're an Indie kid. Seriously, though, Ghostface's 2 albums from last year were on every blog's year-end top 10 list, right next to Decemberists and TV on the Radio and Joanna Newsom all the rest of the indie crushes. Weird.

What he sounds like: Very, very good. Thick-ass Wu style beats and he is one of the best storytellers in rap. But for my song selection, I'm breaking my unwritten rule of not featuring collaborations, especially not with other Coachella artists. It's just a thing, okay. I like to give everyone their own individual shine, but this song is just too damn good. Such a bizarre team up, but the results are sweet...

Ghostface Killah - You Know I'm No Good (ft. Amy Winehouse)



What I think: Wu-Tang Clan ain't nothin' to WHAT? That there song should actually be re-created live at the show, which will be fun. The only reservation I'd have with Ghost is that I've seen Wu-Tang live on TV and it ended up being one of those deals where there were too many guys yelling all at once at it kinda sucked. So, guess it depends on how many people he brings with him. Definitely peep the albums though.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Girl Talk





Who he is: Mr. Greg Gillis of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania... I'm not sure why a dude would pick Girl Talk as a stage name, but I ain't hatin'...

What he sounds like: DJ Z-Trip on crack. But, as you can see in the photo, he's not really a DJ, nor does he claim to be. His album, Night Ripper, was all made on his trusty laptop, and honestly, not even someone of Z-Trip's skillz could recreate it on turntables. Over, oh, 45 minutes or so, he takes bits and pieces of 164 different songs and just throws 'em in the blender on "Jucify", and the result, well... here's where I break another rule. Although the album is split up into "tracks", you really just can't properly experience it in three minute snippets... so here's the whole damn thing...

Girl Talk - Night Ripper (.zip file)



What I think: The art of the mash-up taken to the highest level. Awesome. .

No comments: