21 March 2007

Blog-achella '07 - Peeping Tom (Fri.) / Peter, Bjorn & John (Sat.)

I have to start off the day by giving a big ol' shout-out to my sister in bloggin', the fabulous Marsupial over at Benzaiten Music. If you want a little bit of actual information and insight along with your music, as opposed to the half-arsed, knee-jerk ramblings you get here, that is the place to go. Girl knows her stuff! (Well, she is a soon-to-be-big-time Music Supervisor in the film world, after all).

Now, back to your regularly scheduled mediocrity. The writing that is. Today's bands are pretty dang good.

Peeping Tom





Who they are: Mr. Mad Genius, Mr. Faith No More, Mr. Bungle, Mr. Lovage, Mr. Mike Patton and a merry band of collaborators.

What they sound like: Well, with collaborators ranging from Amon Tobin to Bebel Gilberto to Kool Keith, the results are varied, but the good kind of varied.

Peeping Tom - Mojo (ft. Rahzel & Dan the Automator)
Peeping Tom - Peeping Tom



What I think: Me likey a lot. I don't know which of his various cohorts will join him on stage (heck, maybe even Bjork?), but it promises to be interesting. It's Mike Freakin' Patton, dangit! Dude's like, crazy!

----------------------------------

Peter, Bjorn & John





Who they are: Yet another reminder that Swedish people are cute, in that "I wanna pinch your cheeks" kinda way.

What they sound like: What is it with the Swedish people and the pop music. They're just so dang good at it! But I promise to make it through describing a Swedish artist without mentioning Abba -- wait... d'oh! The problem I have with PB & J (fighting off the urge to pinch cheeks again) is that with a first single as genius and classic as "Young Folks", how the hell do you follow it up? I haven't found another song of theirs yet that quite compares.

Peter, Bjorn & John - I Don't Know What I Want Us To Do
Peter Bjorn and John



What I think: And the reason for that is because the singer's kinda off-key delivery, while soooo perfect for that song is a bit off-putting on some of their other tunes. Worth checking out, especially if you know how to whistle. Has there ever been a whistle-along at Coachella? Well, there will be this year!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks Tone!
You KNOW I love the Patton. I saw him at Avalon this summer...Not only did I see him, I MET him...he touched my face and I went to heaven for a second. He's brilliant, muc h in the way that I think Damon Albarn is brilliant, he's got his hands in everything and isnt' afraid to cross barriers or lines, whatevah, he's on it!
PB&J also are great. Happy music. And who can go wrong when the initials of your group are a staple sammich! mmm strawberry jam and peanut buttter.