09 March 2007

Blog-achella '07 - Gogol Bordello (Fri.) / Jose Gonzalez (Sun.)

To mosh or not to mosh, that is the question...

Gogol Bordello





Who they are: A bunch of Eastern European types from New York City with funny clothes who named their band after a gay Ukrainian writer from the early 19th century.

What they sound like: They call it "Gypsy Punk"... it's loud and shouty and has accordions and violins and um...

Gogol Bordello - Not A Crime



What I think: Um, err... I don't get it. It's like a mosh-pit broke out in Borat's village or something... oh, wait, no... they like country there...



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jose Gonzalez





Who he is: Argentine dude who grew up in Sweden, got acoustic guitar, rocked softly, did many cover songs and starred on the latest Zero 7 album.

What he sounds like: I'm not making fun here, I promise, but don't you hear a liiiiiiittle bit of Christopher Cross in his voice? Or is it just me?

Jose Gonzalez - Crosses



What I think: Come on, now... just a little, if you listen real hard? No? Anyhoo, dude is cool in my book, although there will be no mosh pits here, unless people are being, like, super ironic.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, and despite the fact that I work on one of the offending "celebrity news" shows, I just really wish people would leave Britney the fuck alone. I'm somewhat embarrassed to be even a small, unwilling part of the media's stalking of the poor girl. Who's with me on this?

Have a great weekend, kids.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Indeed, he sounds A LOT like Christopher Cross with a little bit of Gerry Raferty thrown in. His songs are better, though.