09 March 2007

Blog-achella '07 - Felix Da Housecat (Fri.) / Lupe Fiasco (Sun.)

And now, a President's Day message from a very special guest blogger... give it up for the 11th President of the United States, Mr. James K. Polk!



"Thank you, Tone. So, yeah, it's President's Day. Big fuckin' deal. Why would I say that, you ask? Because all you people seem to care about are those grandstanders Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln... how come you never celebrate James K. Polk on President's Day, huh? I did some cool shit, ya know! You ever hear of the U.S. Naval Academy? I built that shit. Yeah, me. The Smithsonian? Bet you've been there on a school trip, huh? James K. Pizzolk. How about postage stamps, ever use one of those? You got the Polker to thank for that, too! But that shit's just small beans, yo! I added a grip of land to this country. Texas, Washington, Oregon, oh, and try havin' your little Coachella thing without a little James K. Polk acquisition called California. Manifest Destiny, bitches! Google dat shit!... Anyway, I'd like to present now, the greatest recording in the history of music. Sorry for the crap sound quality, apparently this mp3 was ripped with technology invented while I was still in office...

They Might Be Giants - James K. Polk



... James K. Polk, out!"



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Felix Da Housecat





Who he is: The Chicago DJ that it seems has been around for approximately 1,000,000 years and is always at Coachella, hangin' out at the beer tent.

What he sounds like: Never really been one of my favorites, but then again the only time I can really remember seeing him spin live was at one of the URB Coachella after-parties and I was way too fucked up to pay attention :P

His own productions, however, I can definitely say are a bit dodgy. The last album, I forget what it was called, was a damn-near unlistenable '80s throwback which got sold right back to Aron's after one spin. But here's a kinda good remix he did last year...

Vitalic - You Prefer Cocaine (Felix Da Housecat Mix)



What I think: I dunno... all the house DJ's in the world, you'd think they could come up with someone different for a change...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lupe Fiasco





Who he is: Also from Chicago, he's kind of like Kanye West's and Jay-Z's nerdy little cousin

What he sounds like: Nice hip-hop of the backpackin' variety

Lupe Fiasco - Daydreamin' (ft. Jill Scott)



What I think: Well, what we have here is a rare occurence, a popular rapper that doesnt' suck! Who knew? Actually, though, considering who he runs with, it's no surprise. Recommended, and maybe he'll do some skateboard tricks for ya, too.

No comments: