27 March 2007

Blog-achella '07 - Red Hot Chili Peppers (Sat.) / Mike Relm (Sat.)

Something (very very very) very old, Something quite rather new...

Red Hot Chili Peppers





***UPDATE: Ha! Check it out! I included the photo of the Peppers w/ their socks on their cocks from the cover of their "Abbey Road" E.P., but apparently Photobucket took offense at that. Prudes!***

Who they are: A group I never would have expected to still be around, relevant, and for cryin' out loud more popular than ever when I first started listening to them like 20 years ago... seriously... like 1987! Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck me, I'm fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuckin' oooooooooooooold...

What they sound like: I guess it's both a compliment and a criticism that they don't really sound all that different than they did, well, when Blood Sugar Sex Magik came out, which, as we have already determined, is quite some time ago... and just to prove my old skool steez, here's a b-side from the import CD single of "Taste the Pain" from the "Mother's Milk" album that I went out and bought at the CD store when I was in college, fuck me!

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Show Me Your Soul
Red Hot Chili Peppers



What I think: Ya know, I'll never hate on the Chili Peppers, although to be honest they lost me at "Under The Bridge". I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Last time they played Coachella, we passed by them right after Underworld had pretty much unscrewed our skulls and blended our brains into frothy neuron smoothies... and they didn't seem to be all that interesting at the time :P

----------------------------

Mike Relm





Who he is: Another nerdy Asian turntablist from the bay area... who knew?

What he sounds like: The music, well, it's just some turntablist stuff, ya know... ok, but not mindblowing...

Mike Relm - Body Rock



What I think: ... but I've never seen a DJ rock it quite like this... guy uses the Pioneer DVD mixers in a hip-hop scratch fashion... pretty dang cool, especially for us geeks who like to geek out on geek stuff...



So this dude is definitely rad.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tony. What can one say about the chilis...I can never hate on them either. The Freakey Styley album blew me away, so if you wanna talk old, we can talk old!
If I was still 16...seeing them live would have been the end-all-be-all for me...but that was then and this is now. The chilis are different now....now they play pop music on disneyland roller coasters.
I will of course give them a pass-by...but what are the chances of them coming out in their socks and playing "black eyed blonde"? Slim to none I guess. I'll give you the report in april....
PS Good track post for the old chili fans! ;)