14 March 2007

Blog-achella '07 - Mika (Sun.) / MSTRKRFT (Sat.)

Sometimes musicians sound like other musicians. Sometimes that's a good thing. Sometimes it's war...

Mika





Who he is: A Lebanese-born singer from London, who quite frankly kinda creeps me out in his pictures. But he is #1 on the charts over there right now.

What he sounds like: Two words - Freddie Mercury.

Mika - Grace Kelly
Mika - Grace Kelly - Single



What I think: Do I lie? Not really my cup of tea. But I gotta say, between this and the My Chemical Romance and hell, even the new Muse (which I love), if Freddie were alive he'd be having some beef with some folks. Which quite frankly would be pretty damn funny. Imagine a feud between Gerard Way and Freddy Mercury, with both of them cutting increasingly flamboyant diss records, ending in a drive-by slapping of Way by Freddie outside of Crunch Gym or some shit. God, that needs to happen. Damn you for dying so young Freddie!

--------------------------------

MSTRKRFT





Who they are: Any more Canadian acts and I'm going to start calling this thing Canuck-a-chella. Wait... did I use that joke last year? Probably. I'm a hack. Anyhoo, these guys used to have the band called Death From Above 1979, but now they have synthesizers.

What they sound like: Two words - Daft Punk...

MSTRKRFT - She's Good For Business
MSTRKRFT - The Looks



What I think: ... which is not a bad thing! These guys are one of my favorite new outfits of the last couple years, and they have also delivered some killer remixes. Get on Hype Machine and search 'em out. Plus, anytime you make a video in which a bunch of hot secretaries are sat in a dentist's chair and completely slathered in strawberry yogurt, you are cool in my book.



Okay, maybe that was a little much.

No comments: