09 March 2007

Blog-achella '07 - Fields (Sat.) / Fountains of Wayne (Sat.)

Did you know that baseball spring training has started? Summer is just around the corner! And you know what they play baseball on...

Fields

(I'm truly sorry for that. I am.)




Who they are: A British band that has the good sense to put the nice looking bird in the front of the publicity photo, even though she isn't the frontwoman of the band.

What they sound like: Rich, full-bodied Brit-Rock with a pungent aroma and hints of um, ah, forget it.

Fields - Brittle Sticks



What I think: I like their sound, being the sucker for Brit-Rock that I am. Other things I am a sucker for: Redheads, Microbrews and Movies where a bunch of dudes swear and shoot guns at each other ("The Departed" for Best Picture!).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fountains Of Wayne





Who they are: A New York band that was actually around for quite some time before that whole "Stacey's Mom" song. I actually got hipped to them by Chris Douridas on KCRW back in the day - the main songwriter, Adam Schlesinger, was in this band called Ivy that was quite good, and Fountains Of Wayne was just supposed to be a side-project. 10 years later, and the "side project" is still going, whereas Ivy has long since ceased to be. Oh, and since I mentioned KCRW... blow me, Nic Harcourt :P

What they sound like: Guitar Pop the way it should be, aka, minus all the damn TWEE! Seriously, it's like who can be the fuckin' twee-est these days between the Sufjans and the Decemberists and the Belle and Sebastians all that crap. Just because you want to play catchy pop songs doesn't mean you have to be a gigantic pussy, and Fountains of Wayne are excellent proof of that. Here's the first song of theirs Mr. Douridas played on Morning Becomes Eclectic that I totally dug.

Fountains Of Wayne - Radiation Vibe



What I think: See, that's how you do it. It's catchy, it's pop, and I don't want to punch anyone in the band in the face right now. Good work, boys.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And finally, a photo that really sums up the Bush adminstration...

No comments: